Sunday, January 3, 2010

Resolutions

I spent New Year's Day walking the Brooklyn Bridge with hundreds of other tourists from around the globe. I lost count of how many different languages I heard being spoken. It was a beautiful day, crisp but not frigid, and by the end of the day we must have walked 10 miles exploring Brooklyn, NYU, Soho, Chinatown...Thank God for my new boots. They were warm and didn't kill my feet and slid nicely under my jeans.

I didn't come up with any resolutions by New Year's Eve. And only now, when I have spent the past couple days sick on the couch, have I given it much thought. So far, I have come up with the following:

1. Be More Healthy

General, I know, but I have been more sick in the past year than any other I can remember. I am not sure if it is the air in Philadelphia versus Portland, or if the stress of law school is just getting to me, but my immune system seems to be shot. In my quest for better health I will try to be less of a night owl, especially given the fact that I have to be in class at 8:30 every morning. I will try to tone down my caffeine addiction, switching from coffee to green tea. I need to eat more fruits and vegetables, not processed foods. Lastly, I need to start running again. Maybe more regular exercise will help as well. Hopefully those changes will keep me more healthy and energized in 2010.

2. Fine-Tune my Wardrobe

It has taken me years to figure out what works for my shape (short, tending towards muscular). I think I have been in denial about my height :) Now that I have finally accepted what actually looks good, I need to go through what I own and clear out lots of items that do me no favors. Once that is accomplished, I have to make another list of pieces that I need to add to my wardrobe. I have been filling my closet with work pieces, but I also need to focus on weekend wear. My shoe selection also needs some help. This will all be more easily accomplished once I have a job and a paycheck. Which leads me too...

3. Be Diligent About Job-Searching

I do not graduate until late May, but given the legal market I need to get a head-start. My goal is a mid-sized to large firm that has departments that specialize in either entertainment, intellectual property or employment law. That being said, I will take whatever job I can get! However, to obtain any kind of job I need to put myself out in the market and take advantage of any connections I have and to continue networking.

4. Finish Writing a Book

I have bits and pieces of books that I have been writing saved on my laptop and in notebooks strewn about our place. I want to finish writing at least one of them. Starting is easy, but the middle is hard, even if I already have an ending in mind. I think the key at this point is just to write daily and hopefully the writer's block will fade.

5. Blog More Often

When life gets hectic, this blog is the first thing to go, but it's an outlet I appreciate. I would put a specific goal number on it, like 7 times a week, but that is not realistic and, honestly, if I make at least one entry a month that will be better than my previous record!

Any resolutions on your minds?


No comments:

Post a Comment