Friday, May 15, 2009

The Devil?

Were Anna Wintour, editor-in-chief of American Vogue, a man, she would not be subjected to probably 90% of the criticism that she faces.  She's cold, she's demanding, she's difficult.  In other words, she's a bitch.  Those same attributes would be dismissed in a man holding a powerful position because no one needs powerful men to be warm and cuddly.  And yet, Ms. Wintour is somehow expected to wield one of, if not the most, influential positions in the titanic fashion industry and still coddle people and put up with people who waste her time all the while with a smile on her face.  But, Ms. Wintour is not smiling.  
Nor should she have to.  

It is probably apparent that I am a fan.  Not to say that American Vogue couldn't use some spicing up in its photoshoots, but overall I am quite in awe of this woman who has been at the helm for 20 years.  

It thrills me to see powerful women.  As I have one year left of law school, I often ponder the workplace that is waiting for me and it will likely be dominated by men.  I hope to find some female role-models, though, and I won't be looking for a mother figure - I already have a fantastic mom and she is who I will run to if I need to cry.  Instead, in a work setting I want to find someone who will show me how to get things done.  If sometimes that means leaving your smile at the door, then fine.  Hopefully at some point within my career being strong won't mean that a woman is labeled a bitch.  But until then, I am fine with choosing the route of Ms. Wintour and focusing on getting the job done.  

Anna Wintour is the subject of this Sunday's 60 minutes and I am excited for the behind the scenes look at her work and her philosophy.  Below is a clip of Morley Safer talking about Anna Wintour and the upcoming segment. 




Video Credit: CBS News

No comments:

Post a Comment