Saturday, April 25, 2009

Classic Style: Rita Montalcini

There are some women in this world who make me excited about getting older.  Rita Montalcini is one such woman.  At 100 years old she is still working as a celebrated neurologist whose discovery of the mechanisms that regulate the growth of cells and organs won her a Nobel Prize in 1986.  Her notable quotable: "At 100, I have a mind that is superior - thanks to experience - than when I was 20."  

Every passing year I think I grow more and more sure of who I am and what works for me, not only on a personal style level, but also my values and work habits.  Hearing that this evolution continues well beyond your 20s is comforting.  I have never subscribed to the theory that high school or college are supposed to be the best years of your life - how sad that would be if true.  Ms. Montalicini is evidence that your experiences continue to enrich your mind and life and that aging doesn't have to be a traumatic process if you approach it with grace and look forward to learning every day.  

She truly is inspirational for her accomplishments, but her personal style is not lacking in the least either.  I love her high-necked blouse, elegantly coiffed hair and the gold-cuff bracelet.  She is incredibly well put together, but the confidence and self-possession are the finishing touches.  

Photo Credit: Yahoo! News

No comments:

Post a Comment